The ManDog takes you through his favorite NFL Week 5 bets against the spread, along with a 6-point teaser.
Current Record: ATS: 6-9-1; Teasers: 1-3
Week 4 pick summary: Cowboys covered easily, the Ravens pushed, the Browns lost and the Packers failed to cover despite winning. The teaser hit for the first time this season.
Steelers at Bills (-14)
- Buffalo had a tough come-from-behind win in rainy Baltimore. Despite being banged up on defense, the Bills managed a goal-line stop and then won on a field goal.
- After difficult road matchups against the Dolphins and Ravens, the Bills play a far inferior Steelers team at home.
- Despite the huge spread in this game, it’s got blowout potential written all over it. Josh Allen is 6-2-2 when favored by a double-digit spread. The Bills load it on when they get going, and Josh Allen is punishing anybody who tries to get in his way.
- Steelers announced Rookie QB Kenny Pickett will be starting against Buffalo. Last year, first-round quarterbacks making their first career NFL starts went 0-5 ATS.
- I trust the Bills to go ahead early, and slowly crack it open against the inexperienced QB and bad Steelers defense.
Dolphins at Jets (+3)
- The jets showed real grit on defense last week and get Zach Wilson back at home, and healthy.
- While the Jets haven’t been good against the Dolphins ATS over the last few years, they can keep this game close against Teddy Bridgewater.
- Miami is 31st against the pass, and I think Zach Wilson manages to move the ball enough to compete in a close game.
- I don’t think Tyreke Hill and Jaylen Waddle can achieve the explosive levels they’ve shown with Tua injured. Less big plays should translate to a lower score and closer game.
- I’ll take the Jets as home dogs in this divisional clash.
Falcons at Buccaneers (-8.5)
- After a tough loss to the Chiefs, Tom Brady is going to be angry. He is 50-14 (best win % ever) following a loss.
- The Falcons lost Cordarrelle Patterson to the IR with a knee injury. That injury will make it tough for the Falcons to do anything meaningful on the ground — a tough reality against a hungry Bucs team.
- Brady is 9-1 ATS against Atlanta, and I expect him to take care of business once again, especially following an embarrassing home loss in prime time last week.
Cowboys (+5) at Rams
- Dallas enters this game with massive momentum. Cooper Rush has played nearly perfectly in the absence of Dak Prescott, and Dallas’ defense has been pressuring the QB at an elite rate (2nd most sacks in NFL).
- Dallas’ defense has allowed the 6th fewest passing yards, which will make life extra difficult for Matthew Stafford.
- The Rams are below average at getting to the QB, and average in pass defense — so I don’t expect too heavy of a challenge for Cooper Rush.
- Dallas is 9-1 ATS on the road and 13-2 ATS in conference games dating back to last season.
- The Cowboys have been dominant, and I can’t stop obacking them until they prove me wrong. Give me the points in this one.
6 Point Teaser
- 49ers (-0.5) & Cowboys (+11.5)